Fungal Library Sharing

Hej lovely peeps,

we have plenty of species at biopunk.kitchen in Potsdam and next week i will visit the lab to transfer our cultures to new media. Its a chance to copy some material if your are interested?

[Plz refer to the post from Nicola down below]

Let me know here!

This thread could also become a platform for sharing cultures, so feel free to offer what you got to share :slight_smile:

Have good one!

2 Likes

@MalteLarsen I’d be interested in getting a transfer from your pleurotus ostreatus culture … so far we have been mostly using a strain we cloned from a mushroom from Edeka, and another that was cloned from the wild, but I’d like to try another strain to compare

Hey, wow good to know, thx a lot. Can you get me please a cordyceps culture? Would be awesome! I could offer for example a Piopino and some others. Sharing is caring. Mushlove :slight_smile:

Hey everyone! I’m sorry to say that the cordyceps is my culture and I have promised my source not to share it with others. So that one is not open source, sorry!

Oh, ok, dont worry. I think I cab get one soon and it it’s a good straun I’m happy to share it here :slight_smile:

Sorry, just noticed that pioppino already exist. Well, these days I will look in my colection. Maybe there is something interesting :wink:

Sure, will do that. I will give you an update once I’m in the lab

2 Likes

Thanks Malte for bringing it up! Here´s my list of strains

I´m happy to share!

3 Likes

Hi, so cool, thx a lot. I would be still so happy for a cordyceps militaris :slight_smile:

As mentioned in DM, would love some Pleurotis ostreatus and Ganoderma lucidum. Can contribute some Stropharia rugosoannulata although it is not an easy one for the lab :wink:

Hej, @notplants @Tim your culture are rdy for pickup at my place :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Super, thankyou for sharing the myco love!

@Wolli ich hatte mal angefangen hier das Thema Myco-Libaries zu starten. Vielleicht können wir es gemeinsam wiederbeleben?!

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m building up a culture library which right now consist of about 20 different strains. Most of them are clones from the wild, which might or might not be good performers in respect to growth rate and building fruit bodies. I will post the list here in the next days.

Together we could share and exchange our strains and add comments about how they performed in the fruiting chamber or in any other experimental setup. Right now I try to figure out the best practice to keep them vital and how to back up cultures in an efficient but also practical way.

At the last meetup @Leo gave me the hint to store them in distilled water. I haven’t fully researched it but this sounds very interesting and I recently started experimenting with a distilled water agar technique described in the Radical Mycology book (p. 285). Here is some info about that as well from @glyph referring to a paper: culture preservation and revival

To sum up we could do the following:

1. Elaborate a best practice about culture preservation and revival
    We could share our experiences, discuss pros and cons and maybe evolve a general TEK out of it

2. Manage an open directory for the available cultures to share and exchange. I work with open office on my computer, we could use a google doc to add and work on it together. Is there an open source alternative to google docs?

What are your thoughts on this?

1 Like

Hey Wolli, I just read your post here! I need to come to the forum more often… :smiley:

I love the idea - did you set up a google doc already? I believe it would be a good start!

The wild clones are probably not too good performers because the performance traits in the wild are quite different from the ones in the lab.

Malte is currently working on integrating the Wolli Tek in our culture data bank in the bioPUNK.kitchen in Potsdam, so this is probably a good time to revive this project :slight_smile:

Omg, havnt seen the post either :sweat_smile:

@Wolli I love the initiative!! I’m on board. I just have been plating our 52 strains at bpk. And I have got contacts to some amazing strain hunters. I love to idea to centralize our efforts and create a system of IDing the strains and to protocol their performance! @phylanx google sheets?

Howdy!

Yes let’s merge our efforts in strain hunting and elaborating a library. I haven’t started a google doc yet, but hope to do so! I might post the new TEK soon as well, today I made a video of it in front of my flowhood :smiley:. But I’ll check the recordings first, if they are okay.

Until then here is an interesting project where “hunting” wild strains is important:
https://thedanishmorelproject.com/the-morel-project/#12

Cultivating black morels indoor, strain 195 and 234 seem to be most productive variants. So it takes a lot of patience finding good performing strains from the wild, but isn’t this the mysterious and funny part :).

3 Likes