Biochar grain spawn

19 days later . Jar 1
Ganoderma lucidumGrain master.

Jar 2. Ganoderma lucidum

5 days old Trametes versicolor

My first tests of activated charcoal in grain jars. I am using around 1 tablespoon per a jar. More tests needs to be done but I hypothesize activated carbon may reduce the risk of contamination. Research gave me an idea that charcoal may prevent anaerobic reactions from occurring- this may prevent the germination of mold and bacterial spores inherent in the grain. All speculative at the moment but nonetheless I am liking what i see so far. No adverse reactions between the carbon and mycelium witnessed.

It is interesting that the mycelium is unaffected but bacteria seems to get trapped and suffocated within the dense black carbon matrix. Could be a possible means of isolating contamination too…

1 Like

7 day old, Trametes versicolor

Another Reishi i did on the same day…jar 4
7 day old, Ganoderma lucidum

Rye spawn:
• Soaked overnight. Then drained.
• Simmered for 18 mins add gypsym and biochar. No boil. Then drain in colander or sieve
• Wait about 1 hour for grains to dry. (Inside moist and outside dry)
• PC on 10 psi for 2 hours.


Rye 500g, gypsum 20g, activated charcoal 30g (2 tbsp)

This time it was much closer to field capacity then my previous attempts with Reishi rye spawn.
No visible forms of contaminations present with biochar supplements.

1 Like

Not sure if this is normal? The mycelium is climbing up the jar…beautiful strands nontheless

Ganoderma lucidum - Reishi

1 Like

Not sure if this is normal?

Totally normal, especially when it comes to Ganoderma lucidum. The mycelium is scouting for secondary food sources / substrates.

That grain is ready to be transferred. The transfer window is much smaller for Ganoderma spp. due to the tenacity of their mycelium. You will not be able to break up the grain if you wait much longer.

Really enjoying following your biochar experiments! I’ve had great success with biochar in agar but have not yet experimented with it in grain mixes.

Looks like i was a little late to the wave on that one! @glyph
I have not done agar + biochar yet haha

It was late at night and in my absent mindedness forgot to label this bag. I believe it was birthed into sawdust 75%, wheat bran 20%, gypsum and biochar 5%
Hydrated with 3 liters of water.

PC for 3 hours on 10psi

On the 24th of Feb…(i think)

That SAB procedure was not fun and felt so cramped putting the grain into the sawdust bags. Cant wait to invest into a flow hood or build my own.

I can see the grains beginning to recover after 2 days. When they are more established, i shall take some photos.

This is officially my first sawdust fruiting block.
Holding thumbs

P.S excuse the quality of picture - i do not want to disturb the bags yet and preventing myself from getting inside the fruiting chamber until i deem necessary.

Pic 1: Day 5. First Ganoderma Lucidum sawdust fruiting block. Same block as picture above

Pic 2: This is another biochar experiment.
2 new grain jars prepared today. Rye mainly with coir, vermiculite, biochar and gypsum.

I am halving my pressure cooking time. Instead of doing 2 hours at 10 psi.
I am cooking for only 1 hour at 10psi

The reason being, i hypothesize the charcoal will prevent any contaminations from occurring in conjunction to the high pressure over a shorter duration.

Note: The grains were presoaked, drained and boiled prior to pressure cooking. This will be my 14 and 15th jar i’ve cultivated. So far I’ve witnessed no contaminations in all. 8 jars fully colonized and the other 7 are well on their way…

Loving this thread, thanks Merlyn! That GL myc is certainly pretty hungry! :slight_smile:

Keeping my eyes peeled for antlers.

The mycelium growing up the bag may be a bit of an issue. (Sawdust stuck all over when i was mixing the bag)

Ill probably have to deal with that somehow.

1 Like