Kiez Pilz Fruiting Morphology

This week we are seeing our first fruits out of our oyster buckets :slight_smile:

Of the buckets that are fruiting we are seeing a lot of different interesting mushroom shapes. This is also our first time fruiting this particular strain (which was cloned from the wild).

We also inoculated a few 1L bags at the same time as the buckets, as a sort of control group. To my eyes, the pin sets coming out of the bags look nicer than the one’s coming out of the buckets.

We are thinking of trying to increase the fresh air in the room (by increasing the frequency that the extractor fan turns on from 15 minutes twice a day to 15 minutes six times a day). Also wondering if bigger holes in the buckets might be a good idea. Any thoughts welcome. Here are some pictures:

1 (labelling to make it easier to talk about)

4 Likes

Following up on this,
we realized that the power timer on our fan had actually been unknowingly broken for some time (the clock in the timer was no longer spinning). So these previous images were all with possibly no significant FAE

We’ve since put in a working timer and the recent fruits appear a lot healthier:

These images are still all from the wild (aus20) strain.

We have some buckets in the chamber myceliated with the Edeka strain and curious to see what the fruits look like.

1 Like

this latest pin set (from wild-cloned oyster) looking particularly alien to me

1 Like

the alien spheres seem to be growing nicely,

interestingly, we made grow bags at the same time as we inoculated these buckets and we’re not seeing any pins from the bags. Same spawn same substrate same innoculation same fruiting chamber. Anyone have any ideas why the bags are not pinning?

I just now tried putting one of the bags to sit in a dark room for 24 hours. And then going to bring it back into the fruiting chamber (where its exposed to 12-12 light-dark). We’ve been letting bags and buckets colonize in normal daylight, which is why I thought to try this.

Here is an image of the bag that’s not pinning:

and a close-up of where I cut an X in the bag:

3 Likes

:astonished:

That’s an incredible pin set! Gorgeous. Looking strong! The developing fruitbodies in the follow-up photo look beautiful too. I think you’re onto something with this culture :slight_smile:

Light could certainly be a factor with the bags. I’m interested to hear what happens with the one you kept in the dark temporarily. What are the temps like in there? I’d be tempted to try and induce fruiting with a cold-shock (drop temp to 10 to 15°C for 24 - 48 hours).

1 Like

a particularly nice looking cluster coming out of this bag (aus20 wild-cloned)

2 Likes

the biopunk kitchen strain oyster mushrooms appear to be growing well, although interestingly they don’t have the same cluster shape we were seeing with the aus20 and edeka strain (as pictured in the last photo). The mushrooms seem to be a bit more independent and kind of growing all over the place

2 Likes

Love this, thank you for sharing!! I should be hanging out in the forum more…!