Mushrooms & Acoustics

Hi!

I’m Alex from Oldenburg, Germany. I’m in acoustics and sound engineering.
I’m building studio speakers and looking into ways of manufacturing drivers with advanced fungal biopolymers. I’m new to the science of it, so i’ll be experimenting with feeding cellulose cones to mycelium and see what comes out!

Appreciate the forming of this platform very much, we’re onto something here :slight_smile:

Here’s my website which is rather non-fungal at this point :stuck_out_tongue:
www.holodeckstudio.de

2 Likes

@MushroomLoudspeakers

Welcome Alex! Thanks so much for joining us and introducing yourself :slight_smile:

I’m very excited to hear about your plans to run mycofabrication experiments. That sounds like a great way to combine your passions for sound and mycelium. I’ve done some small mycomaterial projects in the past and they were a lot of fun. Here’s a bowl I grew with Ganoderma lucidum mycelium on hemp hurds:

Maybe you are already familiar with this mycomaterial speaker project (“FungiSound”) by Bertie Ford from Nottingham Trent University?

Thank you @glyph ! I am familiar with Berties project, it’s incredible and i’d love to hear these speakers some day :slight_smile: How durable and heavy is the form in your picture?
I’ll be looking into Exilva’s technology, maybe they can provide me with a cellulose liquid substrate that can be inoculated and applied to a paper cone https://www.exilva.com/. They are offering free samples!