Fruiting Reishi and Lions Mane Jars In An SGFC

Daniella ( and I have been doing a lil experiment trying to fruit reishi and lions mane from jars in a shotgun fruiting chamber.

We innoculated grain jars with liquid culture (courtesy of kiezpilz), then did a grain to grain transfer (in a still air box) and have now put some fully myceliated jars in the sgfc.

photo of said sgfc

we can see that the lions mane is already fruiting, but i’m curious if the fruits will actually be able to escape the jars, or what’s going to happen

photo of lions mane fruiting in jars

no fruits yet that I can see on the reishi jars (also not sure if this coloration might be contamination or is normal)

photo of reishi jar with slight coloration

1 Like

We also innoculated three bags (two reishi and one lions mane) which are in the process of myceliating.

photo of three grow bags in the process of myceliating

Once fully myceliated, we plan to also fruit these bags in a shotgun fruiting chamber (which we mist and fan twice per day).

To make the bags, we used one jar of grain spawn per bag, and the following bulk substrate recipe (from kiezpilz), sterilized for 90 minutes at 15 psi:

Recipe for three bags:
800g saw dust
409g hemp husks
250g wheat bran
40g gypsum
3l h2o distributed to 3 bags

1 Like

following up with the results of this experiment:

the lion’s mane jars in the shotgun fruiting chamber did produce fruits, but these fruits got some dark contamination. first one jar, then soon after, all the jars. we chose not to eat any of the fruits. we also saw a fly flying around the chamber and wonder if this might have been a contamination vector.

*images of lion’s mane fruits with contamination

the reishi jars in the monotub looked good, but we never saw any fruits appear. in the same time period, the bags of reishi we also made began producing many fruits. eventually, due to having limited space growing in the bedroom, and seeing quicker results from the reishi bags, we composted the reishi jars. possible it still could have eventually worked, or that the fruiting conditions in the monotub could have been improved in some way.

*image of reishi jars in the monotub

*image of fully colonized reishi and lions mane bags

*images of some early reishi fruits

the reishi made beautiful antlers inside the bag, and eventually we cut the bags open and put the open bags into a fruiting chamber we made using an old martha green house with a humidifier and fan on a timer

*image of reishi in the fruiting chamber

eventually we harvested the two reishi bags, after they had released brown spores (perhaps it would have been better to harvest them earlier, but we dried the reishi, and are still planning to make reishi tea from the harvest, today)

the lion’s mane bag also contaminated before it produced fruits

we now have another round of reishi and and lions mane bags fully myceliated, will see how the next batch goes